samba steak stir-fry
- 1 pound beef Sirloin Tip Steaks, 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick
- Pico de Gallo (recipe follows)
- 3 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup thinly sliced bell pepper, any color
- 1/2 medium white onion, cut into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 small whole wheat tortillas (about 6 inch diameter), warmed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- Prepare Pico de Gallo. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1-inch wide strips. Combine beef and rub ingredients in large bowl; toss to coat evenly.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeño; stir-fry 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in same skillet until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1 to 2 minutes or until outside surface is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and beef.
- Return all beef and vegetables to skillet. Season with salt, as desired. Serve beef mixture in tortillas; top with Pico de Gallo.
Pico de Gallo: Combine ¾ cup chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup chopped white onion, 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper, 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt, as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
A twelve-inch cast iron pan may be substituted for large nonstick skillet. Cooking times will remain the same.
Nutrition information per serving: 510 calories; 14 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 75 mg cholesterol; 686 mg sodium; 61 g carbohydrate; 9.8 g fiber; 37 g protein; 4.8 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 6.1 mg iron; 26.9 mcg selenium; 4.2 mg zinc; 95.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.