rustic beef caldo
- 3 pounds beef Shank Cross Cut, cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 cloves galic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 medium easrs corn, husked, cut into 3 pieces each
- 1/2 pounds small red-skinned potatoes, cut in half or left whole if small
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini or Mexican zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
1. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef shanks, in batches, on all sides. Pour off drippings.
2. Return beef to stockpot. Add water, broth, cilantro, garlic, salt, pepper and cumin; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Add cabbage, corn, potatoes, onion and carrots to stockpot; return to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Add zucchini and tomatoes; simmer, covered, 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 319 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 81 mg cholesterol; 1141 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 4.8 g fiber; 39 g protein; 7.8 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 3.9 mcg vitamin B12; 5.1 mg iron; 32.0 mcg selenium; 11.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.