rocky mountain grilled T-bone steaks with charro-style beans
This recipe tastes great over the campfire or on your grill at home. Pepper-rubbed T-Bone Steaks are served with flavorful Charro-style beans.
- 2 beef T-bone Steaks (1 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 3 juniper berries
- CHARRO BEANS
- 1/2 pound pancetta, chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) no-salt added Mexican-style diced tomatoes
- 2 fresh poblano chile peppers, fire-roasted, seeded, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted ground coriander
- 1/2 ounce 70% dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Combine Rub ingredients in a spice grinder. Pulse on and off until grind has sand-like consistency. Set aside.
Cook's Tip: You may substitute 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper for 1/4 teaspoon white peppercorns.
- Preheat large cast iron skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Add pancetta; cook 7 to 10 minutes until crisp, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove pancetta; set aside. Pour excess oil from pan. Return same skillet to heat; add onion and garlic. Reduce heat to medium; cook 3 to 5 minutes until onions are translucent, stirring often. Stir in pancetta, beans, tomatoes, poblanos, broth, jalapeno, chili powder, cumin and coriander. Reduce heat to low; simmer 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add chocolate during last 5 minutes of cooking; stir until combined.
- Meanwhile, press Rub evenly on steaks. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 16 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15 to 19 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally. Remove bones and carve steaks into slices. Serve with Charro Beans.
Cook's Tip: To broil, place steaks on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 15 to 20 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning once. Rest 5 to 10 minutes before slicing off of bone.
Nutrition information per serving: 452 Calories; 219.6 Calories from fat; 24.4g Total Fat (11.4 g Saturated Fat; 0 g Trans Fat; 0.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.6 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 68 mg Cholesterol; 904 mg Sodium; 24 g Total Carbohydrate; 1.7 g Dietary Fiber; 34 g Protein; 6 mg Iron; 522 mg Potassium; 4.4 mg NE Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg Vitamin B12; 5 mg Zinc; 9.1 mcg Selenium; 87.1 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, and Zinc; and a good source of Potassium, Selenium, and Choline.