red-eye beef stew
Try this spin on a classic Southern coffee based gravy in a savory stew made with tender pieces of beef, potatoes, mushrooms and carrots.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef Shoulder Roast Boneless or Bottom Round Roast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups brewed coffee
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 small Yukon Gold or yellow flesh potatoes (about 2-inch diameter), quartered
- 8 ounces button or cremini mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups baby carrots
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas
- Combine flour, thyme and pepper. Reserve 3 tablespoons flour mixture. Lightly coat beef with remaining flour mixture.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with 2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot. Season with salt.
- Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil and onion to stockpot; cook and stir to 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Add coffee; increase heat to medium-high. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in tomato paste, molasses, Worcestershire sauce and reserved flour mixture. Return beef and accumulated juices to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Add potatoes, mushrooms and carrots to stockpot; return to simmer. Continue simmering, covered, 25 to 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender. Add peas; cook, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until peas are crisp-tender, stirring once.
Nutrition information per serving: 399 Calories; 11g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 0g Trans Fat; 70mg Cholesterol; 400mg Sodium; 907mg Potassium; 36g Total carbohydrate; 34g Protein; 6mg Iron; 12mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 128mg Choline; 3.3mcg Vitamin B12; 7.4mg Zinc; 46.1mcg Selenium; 1g Fiber.