peking steak bites
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin or Top Round Steak boneless, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons five spice powder
- minced green onions
- 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon chile garlic sauce
- kosher salt
- 8 Chinese steamed buns (baoa buns or gaw pao buns)
- Combine oil and five spice powder. Spread evenly onto surface of beef steak. Place steak on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 11 to 15 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 13 to 16 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine Sauce ingredients in medium bowl, stirring until smooth; set aside. Steam buns according to package directions; keep warm.
- Carve steak into thin slices; season with salt, as desired. Spread 1 tablespoon Sauce inside each bun. Arrange beef on sauce; sprinkle with green onion, as desired. Close buns.
Nutrition information per serving: 231 calories; 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 25 mg cholesterol; 198 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 1.0 g fiber; 16 g protein; 4.6 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 0.7 mcg vitamin B12; 2.0 mg iron; 15.7 mcg selenium; 2.6 mg zinc; 53.8 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin and selenium; and a good source of vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.