parmesan-crusted cubed steaks with zucchini ribbons
- 4 beef cubed steaks (about 4 oz each)
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1. Pull vegetable peeler lengthwise along zucchini to create thin ribbons, rotating zucchini after every 4 to 6 ribbons to keep slices uniform. Set aside.
- 2. Pour water in shallow dish. Combine bread crumbs and 1/3 cup cheese in second shallow dish. Dip each beef steak into water, then into bread crumb mixture turning to coat both sides.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Place 2 steaks in skillet; cook 5 to 6 minutes to medium (160°F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning once. Remove steaks; keep warm. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining steaks, adjusting heat as necessary to avoid over browning.
- 4. Carefully wipe out skillet with paper towels. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add zucchini; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Toss with remaining 1/3 cup cheese; serve with steaks.
Cook's Tip: For best results, use the seedless portion of the zucchini for making ribbons.
Nutrition information per serving: 417 calories; 22 g fat (7 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 85 mg cholesterol; 626 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 2.6 g fiber; 35 g protein; 5.4 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 4.2 mg iron; 25.7 mcg selenium; 7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.