one skillet beefy 7-layer dip
Try this recipe at your next party. Ground Beef Sausage joins other Mexican-style filling for this cheesy party favorite.
- 1 recipe Mexican-Style Beef Sausage (see link to recipe below)
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat dairy sour cream
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) no-salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced mild green chiles
- 2 fresh jalapeño peppers, trimmed, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- SERVING SUGGESTION
- Tortilla chips or fresh tortillas (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat large oven-proof non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion an oil; cook 5 minutes until onions are soft. Add Mexican-Style Beef Sausage mixture; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in sour cream and tomato paste.
Cook's Tip: Mexican-Style Beef Sausage: Combine 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner), 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves, 1-1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika, 1-1/2 teaspoons chile powder, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly.
- Top beef with tomatoes, beans, corn, chiles, jalapeno peppers and cilantro. Sprinkle mixture with cumin and chile powder; top with cheese. Bake in 350F° oven 20 minutes or until cheese has melted and starting to brown. Remove skillet from oven. Garnish with squeeze of lime, as desired. Serve with chips or tortillas, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 157 Calories; 59.4 Calories from fat; 6.6g Total Fat (3 g Saturated Fat; 0.1 g Trans Fat; 0.6 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 38 mg Cholesterol; 294 mg Sodium; 11 g Total Carbohydrate; 3 g Dietary Fiber; 15 g Protein; 1.8 mg Iron; 330 mg Potassium; 2.6 mg Niacin; 0.2 mg Vitamin B6; 1.2 mcg Vitamin B12; 3.2 mg Zinc; 9.5 mcg Selenium; 36.5 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Vitamin B12, and Zinc; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, Potassium, Niacin, Vitamin B6, and Selenium.