moroccan beef and sweet potato stew
Let your slow cooker do the work, while your house is filled with the scent of cinnamon, garlic and onions. Serve over couscous for a balanced meal.
- 2 1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 to 1-1/2 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion
- Salt to taste
- hot cooked couscous
- TOPPINGS OPTIONAL
- chopped toasted almonds
- chopped fresh parsley
1. Combine flour, cumin, cinnamon, salt and red pepper in 3-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add beef, sweet potatoes and raisins; toss to coat evenly. Pour tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 9 hours or on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or until beef and potatoes are fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Season with salt, as desired.
2. Serve over couscous. Garnish with almonds and parsley, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips: For smaller slow cookers, it may be easier to combine ingredients in a separate bowl before adding to slow cooker.
Nutrition information per serving: 300 calories; 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 811 mg sodium; 32 g carbohydrate; 3.8 g fiber; 26 g protein; 3.6 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 17.8 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, vitaminB6, vitaminB12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and niacin.