maple glazed rib roast with roasted acorn squash
The flavors of fall are captured with this delicious dish. Maple and thyme are the perfect pairing for both the beef and nutty acorn squash.
- 1 beef Rib Roast Bone-In (2 to 4 ribs), small end, chine (back) bone removed (6 to 8 pounds)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut lengthwise in half, seeded
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine maple syrup, thyme and garlic in medium bowl. Reserve 1/4 cup for squash. Brush half of remaining syrup mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast. Reserve remaining for basting.
- Place roast, fat-side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 350°F oven 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for medium rare; 2-1/2 to 3 hours for medium doneness, basting with syrup mixture halfway through roasting time.
- Meanwhile, place squash, cut sides up, in 13x9-inch glass baking dish. Brush cut sides of squash with some reserved syrup mixture; evenly pour remaining mixture into each well. Roast, uncovered, 45 minutes, brushing cut sides with syrup mixture from wells, halfway through baking time.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 145°F for medium doneness. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°-15°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.) Meanwhile, increase oven temperature to 425°F and continue to roast squash 15 to 20 minutes or until tender and edges begin to brown.
- Carve roast into slices. Cut each squash half into 2 wedges, carefully spooning syrup mixture onto each wedge. Season beef and squash with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 407 Calories; 12g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 5g Monounsaturated Fat; 139mg Cholesterol; 105mg Sodium; 25g Total carbohydrate; 48g Protein; 3.8mg Iron; 20mg Niacin; 1.2mg Vitamin B6; 180.2mg Choline; 2.7mcg Vitamin B12; 9.2mg Zinc; 55.6mcg Selenium; 1.7g Fiber;