lemon-garlic beef tri-tip and roasted potatoes
- 1 beef tri-tip roast (1-1/2 to 2 lbs)
- 2 large lemons
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse grind black pepper
- 2 pounds fingerling or small red-skinned potatoes, halved or quartered if large
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Grate 1 tablespoon peel and squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon. Combine lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in small bowl; reserve 1 tablespoon for potatoes. Press remaining lemon mixture onto all surfaces of beef roast. Cut remaining lemon into 12 wedges lengthwise; set aside.
2. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover; set aside.
3. Combine reserved 1 tablespoon lemon mixture, potatoes, lemon wedges, oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt on rimmed sheet pan; toss to coat evenly. Roast beef in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness. Roast potatoes 25 to 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring once.
4. Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer to roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
5. Carve roast across the grain into slices; season with salt, as desired. Serve with potatoes and lemon wedges.
Nutrition information per serving: 338 calories; 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 66 mg cholesterol; 260 mg sodium; 31 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 26 g protein; 12.2 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 2.7 mg iron; 27.5 mcg selenium; 4.8 mg zinc; 115.9 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber and iron.