horseradish-braised pot roast with barley & kale
Simmered slowly in nippy horseradish, this Pot Roast recipe is a satisfying change to the typical Sunday supper with the addition of barley and kale.
- 1 7-bone beef Chuck Roast (about 2 1/4 to 2/12 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon prepared horaseradish, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking (pearled) barley or farro
- 4 cups thinly sliced sale or baby spinach leaves
- Press pepper evenly onto all surfaces beef Pot Roast. Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Place pot roast in stockpot; brown evenly. Pour off drippings.
- Add onion, water, Worcestershire sauce and 2 tablespoons horseradish. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare barley according to package directions for 6 servings. Remove from heat. Stir in kale. Cover; let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove pot roast; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook 10 to 13 minutes or until reduced to 1-1/2 cups, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon horseradish.
- Remove bone from pot roast. Carve pot roast into thin slices. Return beef to cooking liquid and heat through. Serve beef over barley mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 386 Calories; 14g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 6g Monounsaturated Fat; 90mg Cholesterol; 159mg Sodium; 35g Total carbohydrate; 32g Protein; 5.2mg Iron; 8.5mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 115.3mg Choline; 2.1mcg Vitamin B12; 9.8mg Zinc; 36mcg Selenium; 6.8g Fiber.