holiday brunch beef strata
This crowd-pleasing breakfast casserole made with Ground Beef, mushrooms and onions can be prepared the night before so the morning is relaxed and easy!
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 5 large eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 8 cups crustless bread cubes (3/4 inch)
- 2 cups shredded Asiago or fontina cheese
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
- thinly sliced fresh basil
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set aside. Pour off drippings from skillet.
Tips from Our Cook: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.<
- Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat until hot. Add mushrooms and onion; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently. Return beef to skillet. Add thyme; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Whisk milk, eggs, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper in large bowl until blended.
- Spray 2-1/2 to 3-quart shallow baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Layer half of bread cubes, 1/2 cup of chees and half of beef mixture in dish. Pour half of egg mixture over top. Top with remaining bread cubes, 1/2 cup cheese and remaining beef and egg mixtures. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Press any dry bread cubes into egg mixture. Cover with aluminum foil; refrigerate 6 hours or as long as overnight.
Tips from Our Cook: To bake strata immediately, heat oven to 350°F. Assemble strata in dish as directed. Bake, covered, 40 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake strata, covered with foil, 55 minutes. Remove foil. Bake, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Top with tomatoes and basil, as desired.
Cook' s Tips: Day-old or stale, good-quality crusty bread, such as French, Italian or sourdough, is recommended for this recipe.
Cook' s Tips: Two cups shredded Italian cheese blend may be substituted for Asiago or fontina cheese.
Nutrition information per serving: 604 calories; 35 g fat (14 g saturated fat; 10 g monounsaturated fat); 285 mg cholesterol; 1205 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 41 g protein; 7.6 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.0 mcg vitamin B12; 5.2 mg iron; 41.7 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.