grilled beef flank pinwheels on rocket salad
This hearty and peppery grilled steak salad recipe will keep you fueled all day, whatever your mission might be.
- 1 beef Flank Steak (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 1/3 cup drained capers (one 3.5 ounce jar)
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain mustard, divided
- 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 8 cups arugula leaves
- 1 cup roasted corn
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup balsamic syrup or glaze
- Please beef Flank Steak between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using smooth side of meat mallet, pound steak to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place tomatoes and 1 tablespoon of mustard in food processor; pulse on and off until smooth. Add basil and parsley. Pulse on and off until smooth, scraping sides of food processor container as needed.
- Place steak on cutting board so grain is running top to bottom. Season steak with salt and pepper, as desired. Spread tomato mixture on steak, leaving one inch at top of steak. Starting from side closest to you, roll steak tightly to form log. Using 8 (8-inch long) pieces of kitchen string, tie log in even intervals. Cut steak into 1-inch slices in between kitchen string. You should end up with 8 steak pinwheels.
Cook's Tip: For a perfect roll, trim the edges of the beef to a perfect rectangle before filling and rolling.
- Place been pinwheels on gas grill. Grill, uncovered, 13 to 15 minutes for medium rare (145° F) to medium (160° F) doneness, turning occasionally, basting with remaining 1 tablespoon mustard, as desired.
- Remove string from pinwheels. Place arugula on serving platter. Sprinkle with roasted corn and bell pepper; top with pinwheels. Drizzle balsamic over pinwheels and arugula.
Cook's Tip: Cooked frozen or canned sweet corn may also be substituted for roasted corn.
Nutrition information per serving: 289 Calories; 10.9 Calories from fat; 10.9g Total Fat (3.5 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 0.8 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 4.7 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 73 mg Cholesterol; 444 mg Sodium; 17 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.2 g Dietary Fiber; 28 g Protein; 3 mg Iron; 738 mg Potassium; 7.7 mg Niacin; 0.6 mg Vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg Vitamin B12; 4.9 mg Zinc; 27.7 mcg Selenium; 102.4 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Potassium, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, and Iron.