filipino pot roast stew
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds beef Chuck Roast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups frozen cut green beans
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Hoot cooked rice, chopped fresh cilantro
- Lightly coat beef in flour. Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef.
- Return beef to pot. Add onion, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce and fish sauce; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add squash; cover and continue cooking 30 minutes. Add beans; cook 6 to 9 minutes or until squash and beans are tender.
- Serve stew over rice and garnish with cilantro, as desired.
Cook's Tip: Slow Cooker Variation: Add beef, onion, orange juice, lime juice, soy sauce, and fish sauce to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Add squash and beans 30 minute before end of cook time. Serve stew over rice and garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 253 Calories; 8g Total Fat; 2g Saturated Fat; 3g Monounsaturated Fat; 74mg Cholesterol; 654mg Sodium; 19g Total carbohydrate; 25g Protein; 4.1mg Iron; 8.7mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 2.5mcg Vitamin B12; 5.7mg Zinc; 27.4mcg Selenium; 3g Fiber;