cumin seasoned steaks with spicy grilled corn salsa
- 1 pound beef Top Sirloin Steak Boneless, cut 3/4 inch thick
- Avocado Cream (recipe below)
- 8 small corn tortillas (6 to 7-inch diameter), warmed
- Lime wedges (optional)
- SPICY GRILLED CORN SALSA
- 2 medium ears fresh sweet corn, in husks
- 1/2 cup seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Pull back husks from corn, leaving husks attached. Remove and discard corn silk. Bring husks back up around corn; tie in place with kitchen string or strips of corn husk. Soak corn in cold water 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Meanwhile prepare Avocado Cream; set aside.
- Combine rub ingredients; press evenly onto beef steaks; set aside.
- Remove corn from water. Place on grid over medium, ash-covered coals; grill, covered, 20 to 30 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 15 to 25 minutes) or until tender, turning occasionally. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 7 to 11 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, 8 to 13 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
- To prepare Spicy Grilled Corn Salsa, remove and discard husks when cool enough to handle. Cut corn kernels from cobs; place in medium bowl. Add tomatoes and jalapeño. Stir in cilantro, lime juice and salt; set aside.
- Carve steaks into thin slices. Season with salt, as desired. Serve beef in tortillas; top with Spicy Grilled Corn Salsa and Avocado Cream. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Avocado Cream: Combine 1/3 cup coarsely mashed avocado, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, 1 tablespoon reduced fat sour cream, 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice and 1/8 teaspoon salt in small bowl.
Nutrition information per serving: 366 calories; 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 51 mg cholesterol; 304 mg sodium; 36 g carbohydrate; 6.3 g fiber; 32 g protein; 8.7 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 33.8 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.