colorful mexican carne
- 1 package (about 17 ounces) fully-cooked boneless beef pot roast with gravy
- 1 jar (16 ounces) prepared taco sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) red kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed red, yellow and green bell peppers strips, defrosted
- 4 packaged tortilla bowls
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Heat oven to 350°F. Remove beef pot roast from package. Measure 3/4 cup gravy; place in Dutch oven. (Discard any remaining gravy.) Stir in taco sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-high; cook 5 minutes or until thickened.
Cut pot roast into 1/2-inch pieces. Add beef, beans and bell peppers to Dutch oven. Heat through over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
Place tortilla bowls on baking sheet. Bake in 350°F oven 3 minutes or until golden. Add cilantro to beef mixture. Serve in tortilla bowls.
Test Kitchen Tips: Pre-baked tortilla bowls are usually found in the ethnic food section of the supermarket. If not available, serve over tortilla chips.
Nutrition information per serving: 392 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 1 g monounsaturated fat); 31 mg cholesterol; 1007 mg sodium; 61 g carbohydrate; 6.8 g fiber; 16 g protein; 1.4 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 0 mcg vitamin B12; 2.6 mg iron; 1.2 mcg selenium; 0.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber and protein; and a good source of iron.