classic beef patty melt
Ding ding ding! Order up! Try this diner classic for lunch or dinner today. A Ground Beef patty is sandwiched between dense rye bread, cheese and sautéed onions.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup diced onion
- 4 slices rye bread, cut diagonally in half
- 4 slices American cheese
- 4 slices thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- Heat heavy large cast iron or non-stick skillet or griddle on medium heat. Meanwhile, combine ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and salt in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties in skillet; cook 10 to 12 minutes until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center of patty registers 160°F for medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet. Add onion; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown and very tender, stirring often. Remove onions from skillet; keep warm.
- Spread remaining 1 tablespoon butter on one side of each bread slice half. Place 2 bread halves, buttered-side down in skillet. Layer each with 1 slice American cheese, 1 burger and 1 slice Swiss cheese; quarter of onion mixture, top with bread slices, buttered-side up. Weight down sandwiches with heavy pan; cook 1 to 3 minutes on each side or until bread is golden brown, turning sandwiches once. Repeat with remaining bread, burgers and cheeses.
Cook's Tip: All sandwiches may be toasted at the same time using larger skillet or griddle.
Nutrition information per serving: 455 Calories; 26g Total Fat; 14g Saturated Fat; 8g Monounsaturated Fat; 0.5g Trans Fat; 128mg Cholesterol; 928mg Sodium; 479mg Potassium; 22g Total carbohydrate; 34g Protein; 3.8mg Iron; 6.3mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 90.9mg Choline; 2.6mcg Vitamin B12; 6.6mg Zinc; 34.1mcg Selenium; 2.6g Fiber.