classic beef bourguignonne
A classic never goes out of style. The same is true with this traditional stew made with Shoulder Roast, bacon, red wine and lots of hearty vegetables.
- 1 beef Shoulder Roast Boneless (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (about 4 oz)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 2 cups Burgundy or other dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried majoram leaves, crushed
- 8 ounces baby carrots (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 8 ounces fresh pearl onions, peeled or frozen pearl onions
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cut in half if large
- chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Cook bacon in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring frequently. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside. Reserve drippings.
- Meanwhile, cut beef roast into 1-inch pieces. Lightly coat beef with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons reserved bacon drippings in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef, adding bacon drippings or oil as needed. Remove beef from stockpot; season with salt and pepper. Pour off drippings.
- Add broth to stockpot. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Stir in wine, tomato paste, garlic and marjoram. Return beef and bacon to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Add carrots, onions, and mushrooms to stockpot; stir until all vegetables are coated with sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until beef and vegetables are fork-tender.
- Remove from heat. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if necessary. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
The dark brown crust that forms on the bottom of the stockpot during step 2 dissolves when liquid is added and gives the stew a rich flavor.
Nutrition information per serving: 328 Calories; 9g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 89mg Cholesterol; 661mg Sodium; 16g Total carbohydrate; 32g Protein; 4.3mg Iron; 6.7mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 117.5mg Choline; 3mcg Vitamin B12; 8.5mg Zinc; 41.7mcg Selenium; 2.6g Fiber.