classic beef and barley soup
Try this classic recipe today. Beef Chuck Roast is slow-cooked with barley and vegetables for a delicious soup that will feed a crowd.
- 1 beef Arm Chuck Roast, Boneless, cut into 3/4 inch pieces (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup medium pearled barley
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown half of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with remaining beef; remove from stockpot, pour off drippings. Season beef with pepper and salt.
- Add onions, celery, carrots , garlic and thyme to stockpot; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in broth and barley. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour or until beef is fork-tender. Stir in balsamic vinegar.
Nutrition information per serving: 415 Calories; 19g Total Fat; 7g Saturated Fat; 8g Monounsaturated Fat; 99mg Cholesterol; 760mg Sodium; 29g Total carbohydrate; 31g Protein; 3.5mg Iron; 5.9mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 116.5mg Choline; 1.8mcg Vitamin B12; 7mg Zinc; 33.2mcg Selenium; 6g Fiber.