chile-crusted tri-tip roast
Tri-Tip is a top-notch cut of meat. This delicious roast is enhanced by chili powder and cumin for a main dish chock-full of protein and Southwestern flavor.
- 1 beef Tri-Tip Roast (1 1/2 to 2 lbs)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 425°F. Combine rub ingredients in small bowl; press evenly onto all surfaces of beef Roast.
- Place Roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 30 to 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 to 45 minutes for medium doneness.
- Remove Roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer Roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
- Carve Roast across the grain into thin slices. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 164 calories; 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 6 mg cholesterol; 61 mg sodium; 1 g carbohydrate; 0.8 g fiber; 23 g protein; 6.6 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 1.3 mcg vitamin B12; 1.9 mg iron; 26.5 mcg selenium; 4.2 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of iron.