braised short ribs with red wine sauce
- 2 pounds beef Short Ribs
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) double-strength beef broth or beef consommé
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 cup dry red wine
- Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Short Ribs on all sides. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Add broth, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Remove Short Ribs from stockpot; keep warm. Strain vegetables and skim fat from cooking liquid. Reserve 3/4 cup cooking liquid for sauce; discard remaining cooking liquid.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, shallots and minced thyme; cook and stir 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add reserved cooking liquid and cornstarch mixture to skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes; stirring often. Remove skillet from heat; stir in remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Serve sauce over Short Ribs.
Cook's Tip: To cook in a slow cooker, add beef, salt and pepper, as desired, broth, 1 cup wine, onions, garlic and thyme to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours, or LOW 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is fork tender. When the beef is done, continue instructions for sauce preparations beginning in step 2.
Nutrition information per serving: 381 Calories; 22g Total Fat; 10g Saturated Fat; 9g Monounsaturated Fat; 97mg Cholesterol; 596mg Sodium; 10g Total carbohydrate; 30g Protein; 4.2mg Iron; 4.5mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 3mcg Vitamin B12; 7mg Zinc; 22mcg Selenium; 1.4g Fiber;