braised chuck steaks with savory lentils
This recipe features slow simmered Chuck Blade Steaks with onions, carrots and lentils lightly flavored with cumin.
- 2 pounds beef chuck blade steaks, cut 3/4 to 1 inch thick
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup uncooked lentils, rinsed
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 1/2 teaspooon ground cumin
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef steaks in skillet; brown evenly. Pour off drippings; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add water, onion and bay leaves to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/4 hours. Add lentils, carrots and cumin to skillet; return to a boil. Continue simmering, covered, 30 to 45 minutes or until lentils and beef are fork-tender. Discard bay leaves.
- Carve steaks into thin slices. Serve with lentils. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Nutrition information per 3-oz serving: 482 Calories; 16g Total Fat; 7g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 106mg Cholesterol; 119mg Sodium; 37g Total carbohydrate; 47g Protein; 8.2mg Iron; 5.2mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 7.5mcg Vitamin B12; 11.7mg Zinc; 48.4mcg Selenium; 7.6g Fiber.