Jet Tila - braised beef short ribs
Chef's Night In - Jet Tila's braised beef short ribs
2 pounds beef Short Ribs, 2-inch thick cut
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as Canola, for frying
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
2 cups red wine
HERB BOUQUET (tie together)
2 sprigs parsley
2 sprigs sage
2 sprigs rosemary
2 sprigs thyme
1 sheet of parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Season beef with salt and pepper; dredge in flour, shaking off excess. Heat oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy bottomed pot, over medium-high heat. Place short ribs in Dutch oven; brown on all sides (in batches if necessary), about 5 minutes. When deep golden brown in color, remove to a plate; set aside.
- Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and bay leaves to the pot. Stir occasionally, until vegetables are lightly browned and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine. Scrape bottom of pan lightly with a wooden spoon, releasing brown bits from the bottom of pan. Add beef stock and herb bouquet. Return short ribs to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- To make a cartouche (parchment paper lid), take parchment and fold opposite corners in half to make a triangle. Fold opposite corners again, three more times, making a narrow triangle. Measure it from the center to the edge of the pot, trimming edge with scissors. Cut about 1/2-inch from the point of the triangle. Unfold (resulting in a rough circle with a hole in the center) and place in the pot. Pressing with a spoon into surface of liquid. This keeps the surface moist, but also allows for some evaporation and concentration of flavors.
- Simmer covered about 2 hours. Remove herb bouquet and discard.
Nutrition information per entire recipe: 462 Calories; 21.7 g Total Fat (5.4 g Saturated Fat; 0.1 g Trans Fat; 3.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 11.4 g Monounsaturated Fat); 58.0 mg Cholesterol; 1602.0 mg Sodium; 22.0 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.2 g Dietary Fiber; 5.0 g Total Sugars; 0.0 g Added Sugars; 23.0 g Protein; 89.0 mg Calcium; 5.0 mg Iron; 822.0 mg Potassium; 0.2 mcg Vitamin D; 0.4 mg Riboflavin; 6.5 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.0 mcg Vitamin B12; 238.0 mg Phosphorus; 5.2 mg Zinc; 18.3 mcg Selenium; 87.7 mg Choline