beefy sweet potato hash
- 12 ounces cooked beef (such as steak, roast or pot roast) cut into 1/2 inch cubes (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat or regular dairy sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine sweet potatoes, onion and taco seasoning in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add water. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp-tender and water has almost evaporated, stirring once. Stir in oil; continue cooking, uncovered, 4 to 6 minutes or until potatoes are tender and begin to brown, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, combine sour cream and hot sauce in small bowl. Set aside.
- Add beef to potato mixture. Continue to cook 5 minutes or until beef is heated through, stirring occasionally, adding 1 to 2 tablespoons water, if needed to avoid sticking.
- Garnish with cilantro, as desired. Serve with sour cream mixture.
- Beefy Sweet Potato Hash can be served by itself or use in on one of these delicious breakfast creations.
Tacos: Evenly divide hash mixture into eight warmed 6 to 7-inch corn tortillas. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream mixture.
Burritos: Evenly divide hash mixture and cilantro, as desired, into four warmed 10-inch flour tortillas; fold burrito-style. Serve with sour cream mixture.
Beef and Egg Sweet Potato Hash: Prepare recipe as directed. Top hash with egg, prepared as desired. Garnish with cilantro and serve with sour cream mixture.
Nutrition information per serving: 329 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 63 mg cholesterol; 387 mg sodium; 33 g carbohydrate; 5.4 g fiber; 26 g protein; 3.0 mg niacin; 0.3 mg vitamin B6; 2.6 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 26.1 mcg selenium; 5.6 mg zinc; 4.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of niacin and vitamin B6.