beefed up mac & Cheese
Perfect for both parents and kids, this recipe uses shredded Pot Roast to bring mac & cheese to the next level.
- 1 package (about 17 ounces) refrigerated fully-cooked boneless pot roast with gravy or au jus
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2-1/4 cups skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Set aside. Prepare beef pot roast according to package directions. Remove beef from gravy or au jus; reserve gravy for another use. Shred beef with 2 forks. Keep warm; set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Carefully whisk in flour; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned, whisking constantly. Whisk in milk; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until thick, whisking constantly. Remove pan from heat and stir in Monterey Jack cheese, salt and pepper, stirring until cheese is melted. Stir in pasta, 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese and sage.
- Evenly divide pasta mixture among four plates; top with beef and sprinkle with remaining Gorgonzola cheese. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information per serving, using skim milk: 569 Calories; 252 Calories from fat; 28g Total Fat (13 g Saturated Fat; 10 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 93 mg Cholesterol; 1160 mg Sodium; 42 g Total Carbohydrate; 2.2 g Dietary Fiber; 38 g Protein; 3.1 mg Iron; 3.2 mg NE Niacin; 0.1 mg Vitamin B6; 1 mcg Vitamin B12; 2 mg Zinc; 34.6 mcg Selenium; 32.2 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Vitamin B12, and Selenium; and a good source of Iron, and Zinc.