beef brisket with savory carrots and dried plums
This beef brisket is as flavorful as can be. Carrots and dried plums make for the perfect autumn accompaniment to this roast. This Beef. It's What's For Dinner. recipe is certified by the American Heart Association®.
- 1 beef Brisket Flat Half Boneless (2 1/2 to 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups sliced or baby carrots (1/4 inch)
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces pitted dried plums
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat until hot. Place beef Brisket in stockpot; brown evenly. Remove brisket. Pour off drippings, if necessary.
- Add onion to stock pot; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender. Add 1 cup water; cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned bits attached to skillet are dissolved. Return brisket; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly. Simmer 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours. Add carrots, brown sugar, lemon juice, salt, cinnamon, pepper and prunes; continue cooking, covered, 30 or until brisket is fork-tender. Remove brisket and carrots; keep warm.
- Bring cooking liquid to a boil, uncovered, over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes or until liquid is reduced to 1 cup and prunes are plumped. Trim fat from brisket; carve diagonally across the grain. Serve with carrots, prunes and sauce.
NUTRITION INFORMATION 285 Calories; 63 Calories from fat; 7g Total Fat (2.7 g Saturated Fat; 0.17 g Trans Fat; 0.3 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 2.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 78.2 mg Cholesterol; 325.7 mg Sodium; 25.1 g Total Carbohydrate; 3.6 g Dietary Fiber; 29.2 g Protein; 2.8 mg Iron; 597.2 mg Potassium; 5 mg Niacin; 0.4 mg Vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.8 mg Zinc; 27.2 mcg Selenium; 112.7 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Dietary Fiber, Iron, and Potassium.