beef brasato with beans and greens
Try this beef Country-Style Ribs recipe today. Ribs are braised in an Italian-style broth and served with Cannellini Beans, kale, spinach, and a bright tomato salsa. You're Italian grandmother would be proud.
- 1 1/2 pounds beef Country-style ribs
- 1/12 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion, divided
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup prepared marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cans (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tabelspoon butter, melted
- 8 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 8 ounces fresh baby kale
- ITALIAN TOMATO SALSA
- 1 cup diced Roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Season beef Boneless Country-Style Ribs with 1 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven on medium-high heat. Evenly brown ribs; set aside. Add 1-1/2 cups onions, carrots, and celery; cook 5 minutes until onions are translucent, stirring occasionally. Add 1 teaspoon garlic and cook 1 minute. Add wine; cook 1 to 2 minutes until browned bits attached are dissolved. Add broth, marinara, rosemary, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme and salt; stirring until combined. Return beef to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and place in oven 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare Italian Tomato Salsa. Combine tomatoes and basil in medium bowl. Stir in oil; season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter in small bowl; toss to coat. Place on shallow-rimmed baking pan. Place in 325° F oven for 7 to 10 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden brown and toasted.
- Heat medium nonstick skillet on medium heat; coat with cooking spray. Add remaining 1/2 cup onions and remaining 1 teaspoon garlic. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until onions are translucent and garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently. Add beans and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper; cook 8 minutes until heated through. Keep warm.
- Remove beef from Dutch oven and pull into bite-sized pieces; skim the fat and discard. Strain braising liquid, pressing vegetables to extract liquid. Reserve 1/4 cup braising liquid, pouring remainder over beef; keep warm.
- Add spinach and kale to large bowl. Pour reserved 1/4 cup braising liquid over greens and stir, allowing greens to wilt. Divide greens among 4 plates. Top with prepared beans and beef, Ladle additional braising liquid over beef and season with salt and pepper, as desired. Top with Italian Tomato Salsa, bread crumbs and parmesan, as desired.
Cook's Tip: You may wilt spinach and kale in nonstick skillet over medium heat coated with cooking spray for 2 to 4 minutes.
Nutrition information per serving: 786 Calories; 30.8g Total Fat; 11.3g Saturated Fat; 2g Polyunsaturated Fat; 15.9g Monounsaturated Fat; 1.3g Trans Fat; 92mg Cholesterol; 1917mg Sodium; 965mg Potassium; 65g Total carbohydrate; 44g Protein; 8.7mg Iron; 4.9mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 94.1mg Choline; 2.7mcg Vitamin B12; 8.2mg Zinc; 28mcg Selenium; 17g Fiber.