aji-braised beef sort ribs with golden herbed quinoa
Check out these robust aji-spiced braised Short Ribs with a hint of sweetness, served on a bed of golden quinoa.
- 3 pounds beef Short Ribs Bone-In, cut into 4x2x2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons aji amarillo paste
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large unripe papaya
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Annatto Oil, recipe follows (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped freshly parsley
- Place beef short ribs on rack in broiler pan so surface of beef is 4 to 5 inches from heat. Broil 18 to 20 minutes or until browned, turning once. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
Cook's Tip: For easier cleanup, line bottom of broiler pan (not rack) with aluminum foil.
- Meanwhile heat olive oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in aji paste and garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Add ribs and wine; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and braise in 325°F oven 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Cook's Tip: Short ribs may be cooked on the stovetop. Cooking times for beef and papaya remain the same.
- Thirty minutes before beef is done, peel papaya and cut into 1-inch pieces, reserving 1 heaping tablespoon seeds. Add papaya, reserved seeds and 1 tablespoon parsley to stockpot; continue braising, covered, 18 to 20 minutes or until papaya is tender.
- Meanwhile prepare quinoa. Place quinoa in lightly oiled 2-1/2-quart saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat 2 minutes or until toasted and just starting to change color. Add water, Annatto Oil, if desired, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in parsley.
- Skim fat from cooking liquid. Serve short ribs and papaya with sauce over quinoa. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 430 Calories; 19g Total Fat; 7g Saturated Fat; 8g Monounsaturated Fat; 79mg Cholesterol; 251mg Sodium; 30g Total carbohydrate; 31g Protein; 5.8mg Iron; 3.9mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 2.9mcg Vitamin B12; 7.7mg Zinc; 19.5mcg Selenium; 3.5g Fiber.