after-work beef pot roast dinner
After a long day at work, treat yourself to an easy—and nutritious—feast. Beef is a prime source of zinc, so this Pot Roast will help keep your immune system going strong.
- 1 beef Bottom Round Roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 envelope (0.7 oz) Italian dressing mix
- 2 large onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup read-to-serve beef broth
- 2 zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tbsp. water
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Press dressing mix evenly onto all surfaces of pot roast. Place onions and garlic in 4 1/2 to 5 1/2-quart slowcooker; top with pot roast. Add bell peppers and broth. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 hours or on LOW 8 hours. Add zucchini. Continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes or until pot roast is fork-tender.
- Remove pot roast and vegetables. Strain cooking liquid; skim fat. Combine 2 cups cooking liquid and cornstarch mixture in medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened.
- Carve pot roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with vegetables and gravy.
Nutrition Info per serving: made with bottom round pot roast and fat free italian dressing packet: (1 serving,3 oz. roast with 6 oz. vegetables) 220 calories; 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 258 mg sodium; 19 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 26 g protein; 7.4 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6;1.2 mcg vitamin B12; 3.0 mg iron; 30.7 mcg selenium; 4.4 mg zinc.