wranglers beef chili
Serve this classic chili atop whole wheat noodles and offer kids a variety of toppings.
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (8 ounces) no-salt added or regular tomoato sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked whole wheat macaroni (optional)
- TOPPINGS (OPTIONAL)
- Crushed baked tortilla chips, chopped green or regular onion, chopped tomato
- Chopped tomato, chopped bell pepper, chopped fresh cilantro
- Reduced-fat shredded Cheddar cheese, non-fat Greek yogurt
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and onions; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
- Stir in beans, tomato sauce, corn, water, spices and herbs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve over macaroni, if desired. Garnish with toppings, as desired.
Cincinnati-Style Beef Chili: Stir in 1 teaspoon cinnamon with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over hot cooked whole wheat spaghetti.
Moroccan-Style Beef Chili: Substitute 1 cup frozen peas for corn. Stir in 1 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice with other seasonings in Step 2. Serve over whole hot cooked whole wheat couscous or brown rice.
Nutrition information per serving: 356 Calories; 10g Total Fat; 3g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 76mg Cholesterol; 300mg Sodium; 35g Total carbohydrate; 32g Protein; 5.3mg Iron; 8.3mg Niacin; 0.5mg Vitamin B6; 90mg Choline; 2.3mcg Vitamin B12; 6.7mg Zinc; 18.7mcg Selenium; 3.3g Fiber.