wild west beef hash
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 3 cups frozen potatoes O'Brien
- salt and pepper
- 1 jar (15 to 16 ounces) prepared thick-and-chunky salsa
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- Reduced fat dairy sour cream
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges (optional)
- Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Add potatoes; cook 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet. Keep warm.
- Brown Ground Beef in same skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Season beef with salt and pepper, as desired. Stir in salsa, corn and 1/4 cup cilantro; cook 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Stir in potatoes; sprinkle with cheese. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Serve with toppings, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef . Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 392 calories; 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 1109 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate; 3.8 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.4 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 24.1 mcg selenium; 7.2 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.