- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded,chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 romaine or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Combine Ground Beef, jalapeño pepper, onion, cilantro, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
- Place each burger on lettuce leaf. Evenly top with tomato, avocado and onion slices. Wrap lettuce leaves around burgers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutrition information per serving: 254 calories; 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 75mg cholesterol; 137 mg sodium; 8 g carbohydrate; 4.8 g fiber; 24 g protein; 6.1 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B12; 3.1 mg iron; 18.7 mcg selenium; 5.9 mg zinc; 85.7 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, zinc, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12 and selenium, and a good source of iron and dietary fiber.