turkish beef burger
Conceived by former food blogger Renee Dobbs, this burger uses flavorful spices and couscous in its patty and is topped with a Greek yogurt and cucumber sauce. This burger brings Mediterranean flavors to life
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1/2 cup cooked couscous
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Creamy Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce or prepared tzatziki sauce
- 4 whole-grain hamburger buns
- 2 cups romaine lettuce
- 4 slices red onion
- Combine ground beef, couscous, egg, mint, garlic, lemon peel and salt in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-inch thick patties. Place patties in center of grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, covered, 8 to 10 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 7 to 9 minutes) until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning occasionally.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Prepare Creamy Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce. Place burgers on bottoms of buns. Top with lettuce and onion, as desired. Spoon sauce evenly over lettuce and onion slices. Close sandwiches.
Creamy Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce:
Combine 1/2 cup peeled, finely chopped or grated cucumber, 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt, 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves, 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley leaves, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Cook's Tip: Burger may also be served on or in pita bread or naan bread.
Nutrition information per serving: 402 Calories; 14g Total Fat; 4g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 122mg Cholesterol; 761mg Sodium; 41g Total carbohydrate; 31g Protein; 4.4mg Iron; 5.2mg Niacin; 0.4mg Vitamin B6; 111.4mg Choline; 2.3mcg Vitamin B12; 5.8mg Zinc; 27.9mcg Selenium; 7.2g Fiber.