sloppy joe bake
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80% to 85% lean)
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 2 cans Sloppy Joe Sauce (14 1/2 to 16 oz each)
- 3 cups uncooked rotini
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- OPTIONAL: sliced green onions
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and yellow onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir in sloppy Joe sauce, rotini and water.
2. Spray 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon beef mixture into dish; cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F oven 35 to 40 minutes or until pasta is tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
3. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with green onions, if desired.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Cook's Tip: Three cups uncooked wagon wheel pasta may be substituted for rotini.
Nutrition information per serving: 542 calories; 22 g fat (1 g saturated fat; 9 g monounsaturated fat); 95 mg cholesterol; 1014 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 3.5 g fiber; 35 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.7 mcg vitamin B12; 16.9 mg iron; 47.6 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.