savory beef stew with roasted vegetables
- 2 pounds beef for stew, cut into 1 to 1-1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (13 3/4 to 14 1/2 oz) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups cooked couscous
- 12 medium mushrooms
- 6 plum tomatoes, quartered, seeded
- 3 small onions, quartered
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef with garlic in batches; pour off drippings. Return beef to pan; season with pepper.
2. Stir in broth and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
3. Meanwhile heat oven to 425°F. Place vegetables in lightly oiled jelly roll pan. Drizzle with 1-1/2 tablespoons oil and vinegar; toss. Roast in 425°F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until tender.
4. Stir cornstarch mixture into stew; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vegetables and 2 teaspoons vinegar. Serve with couscous.
Nutrition information per serving: 339 calories; 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 61 mg cholesterol; 351 mg sodium; 28 g carbohydrate; 3.1 g fiber; 27 g protein; 5.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 1.9 mcg vitamin B12; 3.2 mg iron; 40.4 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and iron.