porcini mushroom beef bolognese
- 2 pounds ground beef (95% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces panchetta, finely chopped
- 2 ounces prosciutto, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cups dried procini mushrooms, broken into small pieces (approx 1 oz)
- 3/4 cups chopped sun-dired tomatoes, not packed in oil
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 cup hot cooked pasta
1. Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon; season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
2. In same stockpot, heat oil over medium heat until hot. Add onion, cremini mushrooms, pancetta, prosciutto and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until onion is tender and most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Add wine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half.
3. Return beef crumbles to stockpot. Stir in broth, porcini mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot; continue simmering 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce thickens. Stir in additional sugar, as desired. Serve over pasta.
Nutrition information per serving: 313 calories; 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 88 mg cholesterol; 1014 mg sodium; 14 g carbohydrate; 2.4 g fiber; 33 g protein; 7.4 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 5.2 mg iron; 19.8 mcg selenium; 6.3 mg zinc.