nuevo chipotle beef in butternut squash boats
- 1 1/2 pounds beef Stew Meat
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 small ripe avocado, cut into cubes (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Place beef, water, tomato paste, sugar, vinegar, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt and black pepper in stockpot. Cover and bake in 325°F oven 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Meanwhile cut squash lengthwise into quarters; remove seeds. Place squash cut side down in 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish, overlapping if necessary. Add water. Bake in 325°F oven 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until fork-tender.
- Place each baked squash quarter onto serving plate. Fill with equal amounts of beef mixture. Top with tomato and avocado, if desired. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Test Kitchen Tips
Chipotle beef mixture may also be cooked on the stovetop. Bring beef mixture to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
Nutrition information per serving: 355 calories; 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 73 mg cholesterol; 528 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate; 9.7 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.0 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 5.3 mg iron; 20.5 mcg selenium; 6.3 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.