no-fuss beef lasagna
- 1 pound lean ground beef (12 oz fully cooked)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (26 to 30 oz) prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 to 15 oz) chili-seasoned stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 carton (15 oz) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 10 uncooked, lasagna noodles
- 1 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In large nonstick skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until no longer pink. Pour off drippings. Season beef with salt, stir in spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, red pepper, set aside.
- If using fully cooked ground beef, stir beef into sauce, add tomatoes and red pepper and set aside.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Spread 2 cups of the beef and sauce mixture in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise in a single layer. Place a 5th noodle across the end of the baking dish, breaking noodle to fit dish. Press noodles into sauce.
- Spread entire ricotta cheese mixture over noodles. Sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and top with 1-1/2 cups beef sauce. Arrange remaining noodles in a single layer and press lightly into sauce. Top with remaining beef sauce.
- Bake 45 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top and tent lightly with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Cut into 12 (3 x 3 inch) squares.
Tips from Our Cook: You can substitute shredded cooked beef for the ground beef in this recipe.
Nutrition Info per serving: (1 serving, 7.5 oz.) 289 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 53 mg cholesterol; 607 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 1.4 g fiber; 23 g protein; 2 mg niacin; 0.1 mg vitamin B6; 0.9 mcg vitamin B12; 2.2 mg iron; 13 mcg selenium; 2.4 mg zinc.