mexican beef stew
- 3 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ready-to-serve beef broth
- 1 cup prepared thick-and-chunky salsa
- 2 medium zucchini, halved, sliced (3/4 inch)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons cornstarched dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, dairy sour cream
Heat oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef in batches; pour off drippings. Return beef to pan; season with salt.
Stir in broth and salsa; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 hours. Stir in zucchini, beans and corn; continue cooking, covered, 15 to 20 minutes or until beef is fork-tender.
Stir in cornstarch mixture; cook and stir 1 minute or until thickened. Serve with toppings.
Nutrition information per serving (1/6 of recipe): 394 calories; 18 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 11 mg cholesterol; 998 mg sodium; 2 g carbohydrate; 5.3 g fiber; 43 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 3.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5 mg iron; 27.5 mcg selenium; 8.9 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe): 295 calories; 13 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 749 mg sodium; 15 g carbohydrate; 4 g fiber; 32 g protein; 4.2 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.7 mg iron; 20.6 mcg selenium; 6.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.