kickin cajun dirty rice
- 1 pound Ground Beef (75% to 80% lean)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 package (5.7 to 8 oz) Cajun-style dirty rice mix
- water, as needed
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
2. Stir in rice mix and water amount indicated in package directions, omitting oil or margarine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook according to time indicated in package directions or until rice is tender.
3. Stir in tomatoes. Cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition information per serving: 393 calories; 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 757 mg sodium; 35 g carbohydrate; 3.6 g fiber; 28 g protein; 5.1 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 3.5 mg iron; 18.5 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.