indian-spiced beef stew
Use Stew Meat to try something new. This Indian-Spiced Beef Stew will take your taste buds on a worldly journey with unique flavors.
- 2 pounds beef Stew Meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Hot cooked basmati rice, naan or lime wedges (optional)
- Heat 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown 1/2 of beef; remove from stockpot. Repeat with additional 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining beef. Remove beef from stockpot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions, ginger and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes until onions are tender. Add tomato sauce and garam masala; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until browned bits attached to stockpot are dissolved. Return beef to stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.
- Add peas and half-and-half; continue simmering, uncovered, 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve stew with Serving Suggestions, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 406 Calories; 17g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 7g Monounsaturated Fat; 91mg Cholesterol; 989mg Sodium; 23g Total carbohydrate; 38g Protein; 5mg Iron; 1mg Niacin; 0.6mg Vitamin B6; 145.5mg Choline; 2.8mcg Vitamin B12; 7.8mg Zinc; 24.3mcg Selenium; 4.2g Fiber.