greek-style beef stuffed portobello mushrooms
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps, stems removed and chopped
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 3/4 cup crumbled reduced-sodium feta cheese, divided
- 1 cup diced seeded tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced pitted Kalamata olives
- TOPPINGS OPTIONAL
- tzatziki sauce, balsamic glaze, Greek Salad dressing, hummus, roasted red pepper strips, diced cucumbers
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat each mushroom cap with nonstick cooking spray and place on aluminum foil-lined baking pan. Bake in 350°F oven 15 to 17 minutes or until mushrooms are fork tender.
Meanwhile, preheat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef, cook 5 to 7 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Add mushroom stems, onion, Greek seasoning, garlic and pepper; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked and onion is translucent. Stir in spinach and 1/2 cup feta. Keep warm.
Evenly divide beef mixture among mushroom caps (about 1 cup each), mounding as needed. Top with tomatoes, remaining 1/4 cup feta and olives. Top with tzatziki, balsamic glaze, salad dressing, red peppers and cucumbers, as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
To stuff each mushroom cap, fill a 1-cup dry measure with one quarter of beef mixture, pressing lightly. Invert cup, placing beef mixture into mushroom cap.
Nutrition information per serving: 319 calories; 16 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 5 g monounsaturated fat); 109 mg cholesterol; 456 mg sodium; 12 g carbohydrate; 4.1 g fiber; 35 g protein; 10.9 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 3.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.8 mg iron; 45.3 mcg selenium; 8.2 mg zinc; 136.3 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium, zinc and choline; and a good source of fiber.