garlic parmesan burgers
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced green onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 slices rustic crusty bread, cut 1/2 inch thick
- 3 cups chopped red tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped yellow tomatoes
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine Two-Tomato Relish ingredients in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine ground beef, cheese, green onions and garlic in medium bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Lightly shape into eight 1/2-inch thick patties.
- Place patties on grid over medium, ash-covered coals. Grill, uncovered, 11 to 13 minutes to medium (160F) doneness, until not pink in center and juices show no pink color, turning occasionally. Season patties with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Meanwhile brush both sides of bread slices with oil. About 3 minutes before burgers are done, place bread on grid. Grill until lightly toasted, turning once.
- Place 1 burger on each bread slice; top each with 1/4 cup Two-Tomato Relish. Serve open-faced. Cover and refrigerate remaining 4 burgers and relish to use in Meatballs and Pasta in Tomato-Basil Sauce. Makes 4 servings.
Meatballs and Pasta in Tomato-Basil Sauce:
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large non-stick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add 1 cup finely chopped onion; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile cut each leftover grilled burger into 6 equal pieces; set aside. Add leftover Two-Tomato Relish (about 2-3/4 cups) to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add burger pieces; cook 7 to 9 minutes or until beef is heated through and sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally. Add 4 cups hot cooked linguini pasta; toss. Stir in 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces, and thinly sliced fresh basil, as desired. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information per serving using 80% lean ground beef: 340 calories; 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 77 mg cholesterol; 367 mg sodium; 21 g carbohydrate; 1.5 g fiber; 25 g protein; 5.9 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 3.4 mg iron; 18.5 mcg selenium; 5.4 mg zinc.