farm-ous beef lasagna
Conceived by rancher and blogger, Val Wagner, this lasagna recipe uses cottage cheese for an unexpected twist to simplify this classic dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 4 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 3 cups reduced-fat dairy cottage cheese, divided
- 12 cooked lasagna noodles
- Chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef; cook 12 to 15 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles. Add pasta sauce; stir until combined. Set aside.
Cook's Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread 1 cup beef mixture over bottom of 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish. Top with 3 lasagna noodles, 1-1/2 cups beef mixture, 1 cup cottage cheese and 1 cup shredded cheese. Repeat layers of noodles, beef mixture, cottage cheese and shredded cheese. Top with remaining 3 noodles, remaining beef mixture and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake uncovered in 350°F oven 45 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is golden brown. Top with basil, as desired. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information per serving: 499 Calories; 214.2 Calories from fat; 23.8g Total Fat (11.9 g Saturated Fat; 3.6 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 127 mg Cholesterol; 1042 mg Sodium; 22 g Total Carbohydrate; 1.8 g Dietary Fiber; 53 g Protein; 4.3 mg Iron; 6.7 mg Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 3.3 mcg Vitamin B12; 6.9 mg Zinc; 35.6 mcg Selenium; 108.8 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline.