easy odds & ends beef bread
This recipe is perfect when you're browsing leftovers in the refrigerator. Use odds & ends from previous meals to create a truly tasty breakfast.
- 2 cups precooked Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded fresh russet (baking) or sweet potatoes
- 1 pound refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Ketchup, hot sauce, salsa, sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add onion, bell pepper and salt; cook 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Add beef and potatoes; cook 3 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Set aside to cool.<
Cook's Tip: You may substitute 12 ounces precooked shredded beef for ground beef.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out pizza dough into 14 x 10-inch rectangle. Top dough with beef mixture, leaving 1/4-inch border. Place hard-cooked eggs along short side of rectangle. Working from short side, tightly roll up dough, jelly roll-style; pinching seams and edges to seal.
- Transfer bread to parchment-lined shallow-rimmed baking sheet. Brush with beaten egg; sprinkle with cheese. Bake in 350°F oven 40 to 50 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Transfer bread to cutting board; let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with ketchup, hot sauce, salsa and sour cream, as desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 378 Calories; 12.1 Calories from fat; 12.1g Total Fat (3.9 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 0.9 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.9 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 207 mg Cholesterol; 575 mg Sodium; 40 g Total Carbohydrate; 6.6 g Dietary Fiber; 28 g Protein; 4.5 mg Iron; 471 mg Potassium; 4.2 mg Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg Vitamin B12; 4.5 mg Zinc; 26.2 mcg Selenium; 184.4 mg Choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Iron, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc, Selenium, and Choline; and a good source of Potassium.