cowboy beef and black bean chili
- 2 pounds ground beef (96% lean)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 medium yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14 1/2oz) chili-seasoned or zesty-style diced tomatoes, undrainted
- 1 can (14 to 14 1/2 oz) ready-to-serve beef broth
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 cans (15 oz each) black beans, rinsed, drained
- chopped fresh cilantro
- Brown ground beef in stockpot over medium heat 8 to10 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up into 3/4-inch crumbles. Remove from stockpot with slotted spoon. Set aside. Pour off drippings.
- Heat oil in same stockpot over medium heat until hot. Add onions and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until onions are tender. Add bell peppers and jalapeño; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- Return beef crumbles to stockpot. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano, thyme and red pepper; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, beer, tomato paste and honey; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes. Uncover stockpot; continue simmering 30 minutes or until thickened to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in beans; cook 5 to 10 minutes or until beans are heated through. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Nutrition information per serving: 64 calories; 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 76 mg cholesterol; 1131 mg sodium; 39 g carbohydrate; 10.6 g fiber; 34 g protein; 8.1 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 2.2 mcg vitamin B12; 7.3 mg iron; 19.3 mcg selenium; 6.5 mg zinc.