coney island taters
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 large all-purpose potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions (optional)
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir barbecue sauce into beef; cover and simmer over medium-low heat 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile pierce potatoes in several places with fork. Place on paper towel in microwave oven. Microwave on HIGH 10 to 11 minutes or until tender, rearranging potatoes halfway.
- Cut potatoes lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter crosswise in half. Arrange 4 pieces potato on each serving plate; top with beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese; top with green onions, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Variations: CONEY ISLAND PIZZA: Heat oven to 450°F. Prepare beef mixture as directed above; spread evenly over one 12-inch thin-crust Italian bread shell or prepared pizza crust. Top with 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese and, if desired, green onions. Bake in 450°F oven 8 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cut into 8 wedges. CONEY ISLAND BURGERS: Prepare beef mixture as directed above; spoon evenly into four split, toasted hamburger buns. Top with cheese and, if desired, green onions.
Nutritional information per serving of Coney Island Taters: 386 calories; 30 g protein; 34 g carbohydrate; 15 g fat; 4.2 mg iron; 672 mg sodium; 85 mg cholesterol.
Nutrition information per serving of Coney Island Burgers: 402 calories; 30 g protein; 32 g carbohydrate; 17 g fat; 4.0 mg iron; 866 mg sodium; 87 mg cholesterol.
Nutrition information per serving of Coney Island Pizza (2 wedges): 538 calories; 39 g protein; 42 g carbohydrate; 23 g fat; 4.9 mg iron; 1,128 mg sodium; 105 mg cholesterol.