classic chopped beef liver
Creamy, rich chopped liver spread is a classic beef dish. Enjoy on crackers or your favorite vegetables.
- 1 pound beef liver
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lard
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- SERVING SUGGESTION
- Flatbread, crackers or veggies
- Place beef liver in medium bowl; add milk. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler. Remove liver from milk; discard milk. Place liver on rack in foil-lined broiler pan so surface of beef is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 9 to 12 minutes until instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into center registers 160°F, turning once.
- Place liver in food processor bowl. Pulse on and off until finely chopped; remove liver from processor. Add egg, onion and garlic to food processor; pulse on and off until paste forms. Return liver to food processor; add lard. Pulse on and off until blended. Add parsley; pulse until mixture is smooth is smooth. Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
- Place liver mixture into medium bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Nutrition information per serving: 37 Calories; 2g Total Fat; 0.7g Saturated Fat; 0.6g Monounsaturated Fat; 53mg Cholesterol; 17mg Sodium; 1.2g Total carbohydrate; 3.8g Protein; 0.8mg Iron; 2.2mg Niacin; 0.2mg Vitamin B6; 61.3mg Choline; 9.7mcg Vitamin B12; 0.7mg Zinc; 7.3mcg Selenium; 0g Fiber.