classic beef shepherds pie
- 1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 1 1/2 cups Classic Beef Gravy (recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1/ 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, warmed
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan or Cheddar cheese (optional)
- CLASSIC BEEF GRAVY
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare Classic Beef Gravy
Classic Beef Gravy: Melt 1/4 cup butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat until melted. Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour; cook 5 to 7 minutes until mixture is deep brown, stirring often. Whisk in 2 cups reduced-sodium beef broth until smooth; simmer 3 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low heat; cook 2 to 3 minutes until thickened. Stir in 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Season with salt, as desired.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Heat 10 to 12 inch cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef and onions; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Stir in gravy, frozen vegetables and pepper.
- Top beef mixture with potatoes, spreading evenly; sprinkle with cheese, if desired. Bake in 450°F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Test Kitchen Tips
Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
Shepherd's Pie can also be baked in a 2-quart baking dish. Following step 1, transfer meat mixture to baking dish and top with potatoes and cheese. Baking times are the same.
Nutrition information per serving: 408 calories; 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 112 mg cholesterol; 690 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate; 4.7 g fiber; 31 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.6 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12; 4.1 mg iron; 23.7 mcg selenium; 7.1 mg zinc; 101.9 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and choline.