classic beef liver & onions
Rich in iron and other essential nutrients, beef liver has been a favorite for generations. Enjoy this classic recipe updated with a tangy horseradish balsamic sauce.
- 1 pound sliced beef or calf's Liver, cut 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1/4 cup Horseradish Balsamic Sauce
- Rinse Liver using cold water; place in medium bowl. Completely cover with milk. Cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Horseradish Balsamic Sauce.
Horseradish Balsamic Sauce:
Combine 2/3 cup prepared creamy horseradish and 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add onions; cook and stir 15 to 20 minutes until soft and caramelized, reducing heat, if necessary. Remove onions from skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- Remove liver from milk; discard milk. Combine flour, salt and pepper in small bowl. Using sifter, evenly dust each piece of liver with seasoned flour mixture. Melt 1-1/2 teaspoons oil and 1-1/2 teaspoons butter in same skillet until hot. Add half of liver; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side until evenly browned on outside, but pink inside. Repeat with remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, 1-1/2 teaspoons butter and remaining liver.
Cook's Tip: For glazed onions, remove liver from skillet after cooking; set aside and keep warm. Return caramelized onions to same skillet with 1/4 cup water; deglaze pan. Stir and cook until water is almost completely evaporated.
Serve liver and onions with Horseradish Balsamic Sauce.
Nutrition information per serving: 330 Calories; 11g Total Fat; 5g Saturated Fat; 4g Monounsaturated Fat; 345mg Cholesterol; 424mg Sodium; 28g Total carbohydrate; 29g Protein; 6.6mg Iron; 16mg Niacin; 1mg Vitamin B6; 377mg Choline; 60.3mcg Vitamin B12; 5mg Zinc; 38.1mcg Selenium; 2.1g Fiber.